Let's get started!
Why I write this?
- I'm a chemical engineering student(2nd year) in UMP and wished someone would have written similar guide before I enter UMP on my 1st day.
What is UMP?
UMP or Universiti Malaysia Pahang is a technical university that focuses on engineering field. Courses related to computer, project management, chemical, electrical and electronics, mechanical and mechatronic are offered here. It's formerly known as KUKTEM(Kolej Universiti Kujuruteraan dan Teknologi Malaysia or University College of Engineering and Technology Malaysia).
Location of UMP
Lebuhraya Tun Razak, 26300 Gambang, Kuantan, Pahang Darul Makmur. If you're driving along the highway that passes Genting Sempah McD, kindly drive straight until you reach a junction on your left saying "UMP, turn left". Hahaha. I'm bad in memorising highway names. So sorry! But you can get a google map view on UMP official website.
Orientation week or MINDS week.
Based on my past experience and observation of the orientation week, it's super tiring. Hardly any sleep at all. Your day starts at 5-6am and ends at 12am or 1am. You will have to listen to plenty of talks, join lots of activities and tour the UMP. Well, I don't know the 2011 MINDS program, so couldn't give out any information. Rest assured, to those who are sceptical about ragging in UMP, it doesn't happen at all. Kindly let UMP know if such thing happens to you. This is a very serious matter.
(Scene during MINDS 2010)
Dress code in UMP
Officially, students are expected to wear formal clothes(long pants, long-sleeve shirts, shoes and student pass). Un-officially, you can get by just wearing casual formal clothes ( long pants, collared t-shirt, shoes and student pass(if there's any visible guards nearby) ) Well, you should follow the rules. hahahaha. You can be fined if the guards see you without your student pass. Ridiculous rules like no slippers allowed if you're going to the cafetaria or atm has been enforced for few days until it met a strong opposition from the students. No idea with the guards or the Safety Department. Just play safe for the 1st month in new semester :)
(The accepted dress code)
Important facilities in UMP for students.
-Washing machine (provided but you have to pay, works like public telephone, insert coins according to the machine timers, available in KK1, KK2, KK3 and KK4)
- Internet ( do bring your LAN cable and Router. But there will be people selling the Router/Port and LAN cable as well. If you can't wait for them, bring your own. You could also rely on the wireless connection of Streamyx Zone and TM Hotzone. For the wireless connection, the account is given free by UMP but new intake wouldn't have it as UMP register the students at TM every new year. Speed is like 512kps or 1Mps. To download movies/torrents use the wireless connection)
- ATM ( UMP has CIMB(1 cash deposit machine and 1 atm), Bank Islam( 2 atms), Maybank (1 atm) and Bank Muamalaf (1 atm).
- Groceries shop (Biggest is Ina shop located at KK1, smaller shops located at KK2 and KK4 as well)
Other usual facilities like library, sports complex, study room, etc please refer to the official website
Getting about around Kuantan/Gambang
- Car rental service is available. Their numbers can be found in Ecomm(UMP students website). Rental is around RM3.50 to RM6 depending on what kind of car you rent per hour. Cars available are Saga(new and old), Kancil, Viva and etc. This is a service provided by the students.
- Alternatively, you could take UMP bus on the weekend to Kuantan (RM2 and you have to purchase the ticket at Majlis Perwakilan Pelajar(MPP) office)
- East Coast Mall(Most happening place in Kuantan. LOL), Berjaya Megamall, Kompleks Teruntum, Telok Cempedak, The Store...
(East Coast Mall)
- Food(halal and non-halal), Post Office, Photo shop and Hardware Shops.
- For those who want non-halal food, you can head over to Sedap Enak ( sells nice economic rice during lunch at RM4), Keong Fatt ( economic rice during lunch roughly RM4.50 or more expensive) or Lai Meng ( mee, porridge or roti bakar)
- In my personal opinion, I always go to Sedap Enak or Lai Meng or even the Gambang Curry House (Indian shop) for lunch. For dinner, I will frequent the dessert shop(located beside the tyre shop) or Gambang Curry House or Malay food. I don't go to Keong Fatt(expensive food and almost tasteless food) or Red Lantern ( forgot the real name, but it's decorated with lots of red lanterns. Not so clean, found flies in my food before). But, they could improve over time so don't take my words for it but I'm just lazy to visit them again. Sorry.
- Gambang Waterpark and Resort City (for those who want to work part time or have fun)
- KK1 (Lousiest and the most expensive among all. Don't go here unless you're desperate. Hahahahaha. Unfortunately, those living in KK1 and KK3 have to buy from here. But there are mini stalls selling burgers and hot dogs.)
- KK2 ( The best of all! Cheap and delicious)
- KK4 (Not bad and there are few restaurants nearby as KK4 is situated outside UMP Gambang campus)
- There are also executive cafes for the staffs. Heard the food is not bad and the price is affordable as well. Kindly ask the seniors if you're interested in trying out there.
- Typical Malay food like Nasi Goreng Paprik, Pataya, Kampung, Cina and etc is provided at these cafeterias.
Transportation (Cars and Motorbike)
- Not allowed if you're 1st year (exempted if you are Direct Entry student, meaning you have studied Diploma in UMP)
- Motorbike is allowed for all due to policy change initiated by juniors in my junior year :)
Typical things sold during the Orientation Week ( in case you have forgotten to purchase them before you come)
- Laptops and laptops accesories(printer, speaker, laptop cooler, ink)
- Household items (Pillow, pails, broom and etc)
- Snacks, bread, Milo and etc
That's all from me. Kindly leave me any comment if you have any questions. Thank you :D
Edit: KK1 and KK3 - Imagine an apartment like building. Each room could contain 4 or 2 people depending on the size. International students stay at KK1. KK3 is only for female students.
KK2 - Male students only hostel. Imagine single storey houses where there are 4 rooms that could fit 2 people each. It's like common housing area but without the gates. haha
KK4 - Almost same like KK1 and KK2 but each room could fit around 10 people if not mistaken. Most people hate going here because the internet there is lousy but due to its location located outside of UMP(5mins walk to UMP compound), there are few restaurants beside it. Good for those who intend to stay out late as. haha
KK5- Same like KK1 and KK3 but it's located in Pekan.
KK = Kolej Kediaman.